Monday, March 26, 2007

HOT motivation

I was enjoying a hot cup of tea one cool spring morning in Boulder in 2005, and thought “Enough!” Enough taking from sport, it’s high time I give back. I’ve been a selfish athlete over my competitive career. As a professional adventure racer since 1996, I have reaped the benefits of sponsorship, endorsements, equipment, travel and prize money; things most people only dream about. Now I’m facing retirement at the grand old age of 42, I’m feeling the pressure of my sporting karma.

The motivation behind 24 Hours of Triathlon stems from my passion for multi-sport, which began with my first race at the Nepean Triathalon (note the Australian Spelling) in 1984. This year also saw my first experience with adventure racing at the University of Sydney Canoe Club Quadrathlon (swim-bike-kayak-run) and overnight racing at the Hawkesbury Canoe Classic, a 70 mile kayak race that starts the evening of the first full moon each October.

There are many ways to give back, and after several years mulling over the idea, I decided that to create a completely new race. This ended up being 24 Hours of Triathlon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home