Wednesday, March 28, 2007

HOT evolution

What do you do when you retire at 42? I mean, really. At my age, most people aren’t ready to spend the rest of their days watching sunsets in Florida. …… I have a strong drive to stay busy, very busy. Racing is like this, going non-stop as fast as we can, and this becomes embedded after 30+ years of competition.

I want to stay connected to the sport, get back to my roots, stay fit, and bring the opportunity of athleticism to everyone. I really do mean everyone. In this years race we had professional triathletes, runners, bikers, swimmers and first timer any-sport athletes.

24 Hours of Triathlon combines my passion for the three sports of swim-bike-run, the ultra-endurance and camaraderie of adventure racing and the festival atmosphere of 24 hour mountain bike and running races.

It took a while to decide how to combine each passion into a new and unique format that would appeal to a wide range of participants. My ideal was to come up with a sport that was part competition, part party and a celebration of athleticism. It had to work equally well for the serious competitor looking for the next challenge beyond IronMan and for weekend warriors who wanted to play and socialize with their buddies.

After much discussion with my mate Danny Suter, we came up with 24 Hours of Adventure, which morphed into 24 Hours of Endurance and finally 24 Hours of Triathlon. The idea had arrived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home